RE: st: RE: -replace- should not be use with temporary files (was: Comparing datasets)

From   "Rajesh Tharyan" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: -replace- should not be use with temporary files (was: Comparing datasets)
Date   Thu, 18 Sep 2008 18:22:08 +0100

Hi,

When would one want to save replace a temp file. Given that, it will get
erased at the end of the run? One can just create as many as needed is it
not? Or would that be inefficient vis-�-vis usage of system resources?

Rajesh

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Steven Samuels
Sent: 18 September 2008 18:08
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: RE: -replace- should not be use with temporary files (was:
Comparing datasets)

Joseph Coveny wrote:
> This is news to me.  I use -replace- all of the time with temporary
> files. What did StataCorp technical support say was the matter with
> using
> -save . . . , replace- with temporary files?
>
>> Steven Samuels wrote (excerpted):
>>
>> . . . Technical support told me that "replace" should not be used
>> when
>> saving temporary files.

Joseph

What happened was--I tried to save a temporary file `t2',  without
first defining it  Stata did not issue an error message, and I had no
clue as to where I'd gone wrong. (My only excuse-I was tired.)  Kerry
Kammire of StataCorp pointed out my error and went on to say that
there were actually two syntax errors.

"The second syntax error -save, replace- prevented Stata from issuing
an error
when `t2' is undefined. The -replace- option shouldn't be needed when
using
temporary files because they are freshly created each time the
procedure is
run."

Thus -replace- was unnecessary and, in this case, harmful.

-Steve