st: searching for an entry in a list

From   "Ashim Kapoor" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: searching for an entry in a list
Date   Thu, 18 Sep 2008 11:01:31 +0530

Hello,

The prevous subject line was a typo. It should have been , lagging in
a by block.

The 2nd step of my problem involves : --

sort year state

Now I want to check if winner of 1980 ran in election in 1985
so I have data like

year state candidates winner

and I would like to do : by year state : search for winner[1] in the
list of candidates. Please note for each block of year state , winner
will be the same entry.

Can I search like this ? I can of course do a while loop but that
would be slow and not so much fun.

Thank you,
Ashim.