Re: st: why do fixed-effects estimates differ?

From   "G.B.Li" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: why do fixed-effects estimates differ?
Date   Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:11:09 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Maarten and Jverkuilen: Thanks much!!

----- Original Message ----
From: jverkuilen <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 10:10:33 AM
Subject: RE: st: why do fixed-effects estimates differ?

I think Maarten's right, it's probably differences due to finite precision arithmetic. Try using doubles and see if it goes away.

This kind of thing is hardly unusual and is even more marked in nonlinear problems such as numerical optimization, where you simply can't expect more than about eight digits in double precision for many problems. Root finding for the derivative of a function is inherently harder than for the function itself.