RE: st: multiple observations

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: multiple observations
Date   Thu, 11 Sep 2008 14:25:13 +0100

In general -egen, tag()- is not appropriate and would give incorrect
answers here.

-egen, tag()- tags just one of a group of duplicated observations. Then
if you had a series of observations identical on x y you might want to
tag just one as otherwise a -scatter- graph file containing the same
information on x and y would be bloated to no purpose.

In this problem you do not regard observations in a panel as duplicated.
Rather you regard the last observation as special, a quite separate
problem.

-egen, tag()- would give you exactly the right answer if and only if
each panel occurred just once. Otherwise it makes no claims at all to
tag the _last_ observation in each panel and in fact that it is not what
it does: it tags the first in the (current) sort order (although you
should not care, as they are the same).

Nick

fjc fjc

Check help egen tag