Re: st: cluster() or svy? (analysis of cluster-randomized trials)

Subject   Re: st: cluster() or svy? (analysis of cluster-randomized trials)
Date   Tue, 9 Sep 2008 17:03:15 -0400

Michael I. Lichter <[email protected]>:
There is a df adjustment (see below) I neglected on the grounds that
it should make no visible difference assuming you have a reasonable
sample size--which you don't.  With 4 clusters, I cannot see how you
can use the cluster-robust estimator--its good properties are
increasing in the number of clusters and 4 is not near infinity.  See
Rogers 1993 (http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/stat/stb13_rogers.pdf)
on how the cluster-robust estimator is biased downward and the bias is
larger for smaller numbers of clusters or unbalanced clusters.  You
cannot even use the bootstrap, since you suspect clustering, and you
cannot really resample effectively from a sample of 4.  I think you
need at least 20 clusters to use the cluster-robust estimator with any
confidence.

clear
webuse nhanes2
egen c=group(strata psu)