Re: st: sampling weight in --sum,--fsum

From   "Joao Ricardo F. Lima" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: sampling weight in --sum,--fsum
Date   Tue, 9 Sep 2008 13:04:47 -0300

Dear Man Jia,

see help svy_estimation. With survey data, you can estimate mean,
proportion, ratio and total.

Using sampling weights is  important to get the point estimates right.
If you ignore strata or clusters, you probably will estimate standard
errors biased (See Stata Manual SVY and others references).

 HTH,

Joao Lima

2008/9/9 Man Jia <[email protected]>:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a simple question about survey data. I'd like to report the
> basic statistic description for a survey data set. But the commands
> like --sum --fsum can't use the option of pweight (probability weight).
> What can be used is either fweigtht or aweight.
>
> Could anyone help me with the following questions?
>
> 1) How should I get the basic statistics for a survey data which the
> sampling weight is known?
>
> 2) Now I have no information of strata or cluster. What I only know is
> the sampling weight assigned to each individual. When I just use
> pweight to do OLS regressions with svy command, should the
> missing-strata--and--cluster problem be a concern ?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Mandy

Joao Ricardo Lima
Professor