st: RE: RE: Testing for interaction within linear regression

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Testing for interaction within linear regression
Date   Tue, 2 Sep 2008 12:33:01 +0100

All true, but a simpler answer is: -search interaction- (to find out for
yourself) and  -help xi-.

(Also: please edit emails for previous irrelevant material.)

Martin Weiss

I do not really know what to make of the normality issue; there is no
requirement on the covariates being normal, AFAIK. If you want to test
the
validity of your interaction, -generate- the product of the two and add
it
to your covariates. Then see what kind of an effect (sign, p-value)
comes
out of it. Be warned, though: We had a few posts recently about -nl- and
how
it is able to see that you used the same covariate twice and adjust the
resulting marginal effect for -mfx- while -regress- would not know that
you
threw in the covariate itself and some kind of interaction of it with
other
covariates...

Apu Chakraborty

I have Stata 9 and wish to test a variable for putative interaction in a
linear regression model where the predictor and dependent variables are
normally distributed. Please could someone let me know how to do this.