st: RE: scheme for Annual Reviews

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: scheme for Annual Reviews
Date   Mon, 1 Sep 2008 14:36:12 +0100

I am not clear that there is very much information in this .pdf to make
a scheme file.

While their makeovers of diagrams are engaging, just about all that can
be inferred about statistical graph preferences from their examples --
apart from closing the box implied by x and y axes -- is that they like
lots of axis ticks, facing inwards, even if they obscure the data. You
can of course do that with Stata if you want, but it seems retrograde to
me. (On p.3 ticks appear to be missing altogether from graphs that need
them.)

Lots of ticks I take to be a hangover from times when many graphs had an
archival function so that data could be read off graphs approximately.
True or not, I doubt that I am the only one who would see too many ticks
as producing a busy graph.

Would Annual Reviews reject outward-facing ticks???

Caleb Southworth

I wonder if anyone has developed a scheme for Annual Reviews?

http://www.annualreviews.org/authors/pdf/author-guide-to-graphics.pdf