Re: st: update seqlogit available

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: update seqlogit available
Date   Sat, 30 Aug 2008 21:21:13 +0100 (BST)

--- "Joao Ricardo F. Lima" <[email protected]> wrote:
> could you please send me some references of papers that applied this
> kind of model (seqlogit). It�s very interesting, gave me some ideas,
> but I want to read some articles to understand it better.

The model implemented in -seqlogit- basically consists of two parts:
The first part models a sequence of decisions/steps. For example, one
can decide to finish high school or not, if one finishes high school
one can decide between entering the labor market, junior college, or a
four year college, and if one finishes a four year college on can
decide to enter the labor market or enter graduate school. In this type
of application one is typically interested in how family background
influences these dicisions. This part is pretty old: Within sociology a
common application of this model is presented in (Mare 1980, 1981),
while Maddala (1983) discusses some applications within economics. It
is also discussed in (Fox 1997) and (Agresti 2002)

The second part (implemented in -seqlogitdecomp-, which is part of the
seqlogit package) shows a decomposition of how the effects of one
explanatory variable on each transition add up to the effect of the
explanatory variable on the highest attained level. To continue the
example: It shows a decomposition of the effect of family background on
the highest achieved level of education as a weighted sum of the
effects of family background on each decision. These weights turn out
to be substantively sensible: a decision that few people are at risk of
making receives less weight than a decision where more people are at
risk; a decision where virtually everybody fails/passes receives less
weight than a decision where the probability is of passing is about
50%; and a decision receives more weight if the difference in expected
level between passers and failers is high rather than low. This
decomposition is to the best of my knowledge new and only discussed in
(Buis 2008).

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Agresti, Alan. 2002. Categorical Data Analysis. 2nd ed. Hoboken, NJ:
Wiley-Interscience.

Buis, Maarten L. 2008. Not all transitions are equal: The relationship
between inequality of educational opportunities and inequality of
educational outcomes. http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/wp/distmare.html .

Fox, John. 1997. Applied Regression Analysis, Linear Models, and
Related Methods. Thousand Oaks: Sage.

Maddala, G.S. 1983. Limited Dependent and Qualitative Variables in
Econometrics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Mare, Robert D. 1980. Social Background and School Continuation
Decisions. Journal of the American Statistical Association
75(370):295�305.

Mare, Robert D. 1981. Change and Stability in Educational
Stratification. American Sociological Review 46(1):72�87.

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam