RE: RE: st: Stata 10.1

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: RE: st: Stata 10.1
Date   Thu, 14 Aug 2008 17:43:37 +0100

The old -menu- was an idiosyncratic menu within Stata for DOS. (I can't
speak offhand on whether it was supported within Unix or Mac versions.)

As I recall it predated MS Windows and had very little in common with
what MS Windows users would now regard as standard. That has itself of
course evolved over the years.

It's worth recalling that MS Windows was not taken seriously even by
many PC users until about Windows 3.1. (Not even now, some others will
be saying, but I'll not get into that.) Also, other windowed interfaces
with DOS existed and were at least in some cases much better than MS
Windows.

Between this -menu- in Stata (1.2 on) and the present dialog system
(introduced in Stata 8) there was another dialog system.

I'll puff that the special issue of the Stata Journal 5(1) 2005 with
historical bits and pieces is accessible to all from

http://www.stata-journal.com/sj5-1.html

Also, the Stata 1.0 manual is accessible from the UCLA site.

http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/sca/Stata1/default.htm

Sergiy Radyakin
Seems like old syntax was not bad at all.

How about the -menu- command mentioned earlier?
Is it "window menu ...." now? or is it "wmenu"?

. which menu
command menu not found as either built-in or ado-file
r(111);

. which wmenu
built-in command:  wmenu

(there is no help for wmenu)