Re: st: New to Stata - polling

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: New to Stata - polling
Date   Thu, 7 Aug 2008 20:22:30 -0400

On 8/7/08, Dheeraj Chand <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I work for a polling firm, and we're new to Stata. We've done most of our work in SPSS for almost a decade, now, and have developed highly idiosyncratic ways of using macros and Python to create our primary products for our customers: banner books, daily partials, regressions and various modeling projects. Call this the first round of requests for information.
>
> 1. Does anyone on the list use Stata for these purposes?

Yes, there are quite a few people using Stata for regressions and
various modeling projects.

> 2. If so, is it standalone or in conjunction with other software?

Many people are using Stata alone, some prefer to put their output in
Word, and format it there. Some prefer LaTeX for writing articles.
Stat\Transfer is often used together with Stata to import/export data.
USESPSS can be used to read SPSS data in Stata for Windows (32-bit).

> 3. If in conjunction with other software, which other sofware do you use and how do you divvy up the responsibilities?

Typically one would do in Stata everything that Stata is good at. If
there is another piece of software available that is more efficient -
it will be used too.

> 4. Are there manuals or FAQ's available on how to transition from a primarily SPSS shop to an integrated or Stata alone shop for these products?

yes. Sign up for the Stata courses or Google your questions. There is
a lot of info around. Depends what are you looking for. E.g.
http://www.folkesundhed.au.dk/uddannelse/stata/introduction/spssusers.pdf
shows you some equivalences between SPSS and Stata commands.

As you write - this is "first round of requests for information". So
could you be more specific? Do you need to prepare a business plan,
how to move to Stata? Or do you have an SPSS script, and you need to
translate it to Stata language? These are so very different
questions!!

Regards,
  Sergiy