st: Generating random variable with specified effect size between groups

From   "Barth Riley" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Generating random variable with specified effect size between groups
Date   Sat, 19 Jul 2008 04:56:21 -0500

Dear Statlist

I want to generate a normal random variable (like a z score) with a
specified effect size when comparing two groups of equal size. The effect
size is based on an independent t test:

			 (mean 2 -mean1/pooled sd)

The effect sizes I get are usually smaller than what I wanted (e.g., .175
instead of .2). I am having trouble simulating data in which both the mean
difference equals the desired effect size and the pooled SD = 1. I know that
the group SDs have to be smaller than the SD for all simulated observations,
but I don't know by how much or how to simulate this. If anyone has
suggestions on how to do this, I would very much appreciate it.

Barth