RE: st: RE: Help with data management

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Help with data management
Date   Thu, 17 Jul 2008 17:33:35 +0100

I am pleased we are solving some of the problems.

Thank you for your confirmation that you are using Stata 9.2.

The Statalist FAQ advises [3.3]:

"The current version of Stata is 10. Please specify if you are using an earlier version; otherwise, the answer to your question is likely to refer to commands or features unavailable to you."

In Stata 9.2 you can set up your time variable as time in seconds. You don't need any special features to do that.

There are also some extra things, including those in -egenmore-, which will work in Stata 9.2. That includes the -egen- function -hms()-. See also

SJ-6-1  dm0018  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Speaking Stata: Time of day
        (help ntimeofday, stimeofday if installed)  . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox
        Q1/06   SJ 6(1):124--137
        converting back and forth between string and numeric
        representations for time-of-day calculations

But there are no special formats available for date-time variables before Stata 10. You need to upgrade to Stata 10 to get full support for date-time variables.

Katia Bobulova

For what concern question 1, i.e. hms command, I want to clarify that
I am using Stata9.2.
Is this the problem? Because I succeed to generate hours, minutes and
seconds but then I cannot transform my time in something like this:
6:30:00 because hms command does not work.

Is there any other command to achieve the same result in Stata 9.2?

Thank you very much for your time and your attention.

Best,
Katia