RE: st: Stata and biology/biomedical sciences

Subject   RE: st: Stata and biology/biomedical sciences
Date   Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:45:42 +0200

Nick says with respect to R: " The fact that it is free works..." As an
economist/business administrator, let me put that into a little bit of
perspective: having spent countless hours with R, having bought countless
(pricey) books about R, I decided to go back to Stata and to keep the R
books on the shelf for very special cases where the latest advanced methods
are not (yet) implemented in Stata. So far, I have no incident of that kind
to report.

The word "free" is, IMHO, not appropriate for R, as opportunity costs for
learning its intricacies eat into your budget. Whether money changes hands
or not is not the relevant question. For most of the research community that
I observe, Stata is as close to ideal as it gets. Others have (rightly)
pointed to those superior data handling capabilities. They are outstanding
and remarkable indeed. Although most of that can be done with the "free" R
as well, the (reasonable) price of Stata, the list and the books by Stata
press make learning Stata almost a breeze in comparison with trying to learn
the ropes in R.

Add up those (additional) hours you spend learning R, multiply them by your
hourly wage, chip in the frustration that comes from incompatible packages
from the R community, and the resulting sum easily exceeds the price of a
copy of Stata (with all user guides and a Stata coffee mug included :-) )

Martin Weiss

Diplom-Kaufmann Martin Weiss
Mohlstrasse 36
Room 415