Re: st: STATA and Mac system

From   Phil Schumm <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: STATA and Mac system
Date   Mon, 7 Jul 2008 13:47:19 -0500

On Jul 7, 2008, at 1:07 PM, David Radwin wrote:
Just beware the drag-and-drop bug that still plagues Stata for Mac. It will crash the program and cause you to lose your unsaved work.

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-04/msg00585.html

To be clear, this problem only affects the built-in do-file editor (which many people do not use), and then, only when you execute a drag-and-drop (which many people never do). I would expect this problem to vanish once Stata becomes a Cocoa application.

If you're new to OS X, one of the first things you'll want to do is to find a text editor you like and then figure out how to use it together with Stata (see http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/t/ textEditors.html to get you started). Both Emacs and vi work well on OS X, and there are many excellent editors written explicitly to take advantage of OS X's features. My current favorite is TextMate (http://macromates.com/). Once you have a good editor, you'll never open Stata's do-file editor again.

-- Phil

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/