st: 64-bit console version for Mac OS X?

From   Michael Hanson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: 64-bit console version for Mac OS X?
Date   Sun, 06 Jul 2008 16:16:47 -0400

A little over a month ago, Chinh Nguyen ([email protected]) noted that the 64-bit version of Stata for Mac OS X would be available by the end of the year, as converting the application from Carbon to Cocoa was taking some time:

<http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-05/msg00916.html>
<http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-05/msg00921.html>

... perhaps longer than initially expected (viz, "we expect it to be ready during the first half of 2008"):

<http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2007-10/msg00905.html>

An even earlier thread from May 2007 discussed a 64-bit console version, but I cannot locate a follow up message to this one from Alan Riley ([email protected]):

<http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2007-05/msg00954.html>

... which suggested that, "When Leopard is available, we will support 64-bit under OS X."

Given that the unanticipated delays with releasing a 64-bit version of Stata for Mac OS X appear to be related to the GUI, and that a 64- bit version of Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) has been shipping since late October 2007, are there any plans for StataCorp to release a stand- alone 64-bit console version of Stata for the Mac prior to the release of the GUI version? Please consider this message as a formal request for such a product. Perhaps others with a desire to use a 64- bit Mac OS X console version soon would chime in to indicate their interest.

And thanks to StataCorp for their continued support of the Mac platform -- I am looking forward to the Cocoa version once it is released later this year. (And, for the record, I would rather have a 64-bit Cocoa version that does not support the "window snap feature" sooner, than one that does much later. Although supporting that feature in a later update of the executable would, of course, be welcome.)

-- Mike
*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/