Re: st:advantage of using #delimit ;

From   "Joseph Coveney" <[email protected]>
To   "Statalist" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st:advantage of using #delimit ;
Date   Thu, 3 Jul 2008 07:30:57 +0900

Man Jia wrote:

As to long lines in do-files, I know I can use #delimit ; to change the
end-of-line delimiter to ';'. Or I can use /// or /**/comment indicator.

So, I was wondering if there's any advantage of using #delimit ;
instead of /// or /**/. I'm thinking  the first method means you have
to type ; at the end of each line,while if I use the second way  I need
to type /// or /**/ only when there are long lines. But I do have seen
a lot of people prefer #delimit ;. Is there any reason for this?

I don't use it regularly, but it does come in handy with multiline Stata
graphing commands as Roger mentions.  When using -odbc-, it allows for
conventional formating of long SQL statements, which makes them more
readable, too.

Joseph Coveney