st: RE: labels on bar graphs

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: labels on bar graphs
Date   Mon, 30 Jun 2008 17:48:56 +0100

Various thoughts in addition to other suggestions:

I did once suggest a percent format to StataCorp -- without eliciting
any interest.

If your bar chart is really a relative of a histogram, then -histogram,
discrete percent- may be of help.

The program -mylabels- on SSC supports some label fixes of this type. It
doesn't support showing "%" on every label, which I regard as
unnecessarily repetitious, but it could be cloned to permit that.

There is a generic discussion at

SJ-8-1  gr0032  . . . . . . .  Stata tip 59: Plotting on any transformed
scale
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N.
J. Cox
        Q1/08   SJ 8(1):142--145                                 (no
commands)
        tip on how to graph data on a transformed scale

Of various suggestions in this thread, Svend's is closest to what I
would do given such a client.

Richard Goldstein

I need to produce a sizable number of bar graphs for a client.  The
client wants the y-axis to be labeled as, e.g., "15%" rather than as,
e.g., .15.  The range of proportions for these graphs varies quite a bit

(from a max of less than .05 to a max of over .2) so I don't want to
force them all to be the same.

After seeing a graph, it is easy enough to use the ylabel option to get
what I want.  Given that I am generally willing to live with Stata's
automatic choice of tick marks, is there a way to automatically get
labels in the form I want (e.g., "15%") rather than the way Stata wants
(e.g., .15)?