RE: st: Lincom after sepov

From   "Stephen P. Jenkins" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Lincom after sepov
Date   Wed, 25 Jun 2008 09:29:33 +0100

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 10:08:30 -0300
> From: "Joao Ricardo F. Lima" <[email protected]>
> Subject: st: Lincom after sepov
>
> Dear all,
>
> I'm writing because I want an advice. I'm using sepov to get FGT
> indexes for two variables. After estimation I would like to compare
if
> the results are statistical different. I am trying to use "lincom",
> but unsucessfull because sepov stores in e(V) only the estimation
for
> the last variable, isn�t it?
>
> I am doing this:
>
> sepov var1 var2 , p(pl) psu (psu) strat (strat) ci meff
>
> And I would like something like this
>
> lincom p0[var1] - p0[var2]
>
> How can I do this? Is there another way to test if the values of FGT
> indexes are the same?

IMHO -sepov- is redundant. Standard errors for Foster-Greer-Thorbecke
(FGT) poverty indices can be derived straightforwardly using -svy-
commands.  Create for each individual their 'deprivation score'  = (1
- [income/poverty_line])^alpha, -svyset- the data, and then examine
using -(svy)mean-

For examples, see
Jenkins, S.P. 2006. Estimation and interpretation of measures of
inequality, poverty, and social welfare using Stata. Presentation at
North American Stata Users' Group Meetings 2006, Boston MA.
http://econpapers.repec.org/paper/bocasug06/16.htm.

Note that all the above, and -sepov-, assumes that the poverty line is
non-stochastic (which would not be the case if defined e.g. as half
mean income)

Stephen
Professor Stephen P. Jenkins <[email protected]>
Director, Institute for Social and Economic Research
University of Essex, Colchester CO4 3SQ, U.K.
Tel: +44 1206 873374.  Fax: +44 1206 873151.
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk
Survival Analysis using Stata:
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/teaching/degree/stephenj/ec968/
Downloadable papers and software: http://ideas.repec.org/e/pje7.html

Learn about the UK's new household panel survey, the United Kingdom
Household Longitudinal Study: http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/ukhls/