RE: st: removing space from $_DATE

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: removing space from $_DATE
Date   Sun, 22 Jun 2008 18:52:48 +0100

I do not know why you seem to feel frustrated. I would not expect Stata
to hold the same information in a multitude of slightly different ways,
which strikes me as unnecessary, inefficient and poor style. But I can't
see that as limiting in any way. You can work on the macro and use or
display the information in any format you wish.

For example, this program (a) displays the current date in one
particular format,
(b) defines a global macro containing that string (c) optionally, will
take another format.

Naturally, you can vary the default format, change the macro name,
change the program so that a local macro is used instead or as well, and
otherwise extend or simplify the program.

program cdate
	version 8.2
	args format
	local cdate = date("$S_DATE", "dmy")
	if "`format'" == "" local format %dd_M_CY
	di `format' `cdate'
	global cdate = trim(`"`: di `format' `cdate''"')
end