RE: st: error bars

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: error bars
Date   Wed, 18 Jun 2008 21:52:59 +0100

Maarten's reference refers to the -eclplot- package (downloadable from
SSC), which produces a wide range of plots of estimates and confidence
limits. And, using -eclplot-, moleps should be able to produce bar
graphs with the upper error bar and no lower error bar. However, moleps
probably should not produce these, as the reader usually also wants to
know the lower limit as well as the upper limit.

Bar graphs with upper error bars and no lower error bars are known as
"detonator plots", because the bars look like detonators. A presentation
on -eclplot-, including some discussion of detonator plots, is given in
Newson (2005), which can be downloaded from the SSC site at
http://ideas.repec.org/s/boc/usug05.html

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

References

Newson R. Generalized confidence interval plots using commands or
dialogs. Presented at the 11th UK Stata User Meeting, 17-18 May, 2005.

Roger B Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
National Heart and Lung Institute
Imperial College London