Re: st: RE: once again -reshape- and labels

From   Andrea Bennett <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: once again -reshape- and labels
Date   Mon, 16 Jun 2008 19:33:47 +0200

Dear Nick, I'm sorry the question was not that clear to you! But the link you provided is exactly what I was looking for... I will check it out asap.

Kind regards,

Andrea

On Jun 16, 2008, at 7:16 PM, Nick Cox wrote:

In addition, the FAQ at

<http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/labels_reshape.html>

seems closer to your problem than the one you cite.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Cox
Sent: 16 June 2008 18:00
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: RE: once again -reshape- and labels

You don't say what your problem is beyond "I couldn't get it to work",
so I am not
clear quite what kind of diagnosis or guidance you seek.

Also, the example here is first in terms of Ax1 Ax2 Ax3, then in terms
of Ax1 Bx1 Cx1.
We have to guess what you mean. I'll take the first.

As your variable label is the same, no loop over variables is necessary
to retrieve it.

Suppose we have

. l

+-----------------+
| Ax1 Ax2 Ax3 |
|-----------------|
1. | 1 4 7 |
2. | 2 5 8 |
3. | 3 6 9 |
+-----------------+

. d

Contains data
obs: 3
vars: 3
size: 21 (99.9% of memory free)
------
storage display value
variable name type format label variable label
------
Ax1 byte %8.0g Ax
Ax2 byte %8.0g Ax
Ax3 byte %8.0g Ax
------
Sorted by:

. local varlab : var lab Ax1

. gen i = _n

. reshape long Ax , i(i)
(note: j = 1 2 3)

Data wide -> long
-----
Number of obs. 3 -> 9
Number of variables 4 -> 3
j variable (3 values) -> _j
xij variables:
Ax1 Ax2 Ax3 -> Ax
-----

. label var Ax "`varlab'"

. d

Contains data
obs: 9
vars: 3
size: 90 (99.9% of memory free)
------
storage display value
variable name type format label variable label
------
i float %9.0g
_j byte %9.0g
Ax byte %8.0g Ax
------
Sorted by: i _j
Note: dataset has changed since last saved

If you have Bx*, Cx* as well, the code needs extension but I don't think
new principles come into play.

Andrea Bennett

I thought I should be able to succeed myself in doing a -reshape long-
and preserve the variable's label, e.g. I have Ax1 Ax2 Ax3 with every
Ax1-Ax3 having the very same label, but even though having a look at
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/variables.html
and trying to borrow from there, I couldn't get it to work. I now
have stored the first variable's label of each variable I need to
reshape (e.g. the label for Ax1 Bx1 Cx1) but cannot get it applied to
the new variables (after reshape) which are called Ax, Bx and Cx.

My code so far:

local lrshp "Ax1 Bx1 Cx1"

foreach v of var `lrshp' {
local l`v' : variable label `v'
local l`v' "`v'"
}
}

Does any of you macro masters have a good line of help?

P.S. If someone got an idea for automatically renaming Ax, Bx and Cx
to A, B, and C, that would be great, too.

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/