st: RE: Re: corr() with weights, -by-

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: corr() with weights, -by-
Date   Sun, 8 Jun 2008 16:37:40 +0100

On the other hand, if you want the covariances alongside the data, this
approach is cleaner than recourse to -levelsof-:

gen cov = .
egen group = group(country year)
su group, meanonly

quietly forval i = 1/`r(max)' {
	corr x l2.x [aw=weight] if group == `i', cov
	replace cov = r(cov_12) if group == `i'
}

See also

FAQ     . . . . . . . . . . Making foreach go through all values of a
variable
        8/05    Is there a way to tell Stata to try all values of a
                particular variable in a foreach statement without
                specifying them?
                http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/foreach.html

However, -statsby- and then using -merge- may be just as efficient.

Michael Blasnik

You  want the -statsby- command.  Something like this work:

statsby cov=r(cov_12), by(year country) : corr x l2.x  [aw= weight], cov

Philipp Rehm