st: Bootstrapping Conf Intervals - what do they mean?

From   "Dan Weitzenfeld" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Bootstrapping Conf Intervals - what do they mean?
Date   Tue, 3 Jun 2008 12:09:39 -0700

Hi Folks,
I'm grappling with what the results of Bootstrapping can tell you.
Let's say I bootstrap from my sample 10,000 times, calculating a given
statistic, giving me the detail I need to use the 2.5% and 97.5%
percentiles to construct a 95% confidence interval.
What does that *mean*?
Am I 95% confident that the true value of that statistic is within the
interval?  If so, doesn't that require 100% confidence that my sample
is an accurate representation of the underlying population?
Thanks,
Dan