Re: st: error message after using -reoprob-

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: error message after using -reoprob-
Date   Sat, 24 May 2008 22:13:46 +0100 (BST)

--- "J. Li" <[email protected]> wrote:
> The third way seems most informative to this problem. I used regoprob
> with -pl- option instead of reoprob. It turned out to be that it
> stopped at the same place where reoprob couldn't run through, but
> using -regoprob- gives more informative error message. It said that
> "insufficient observations" when it died. I have a further question
> about this though-- what does this error message really mean? I am
> talking about using a panel data set with 3,960 observations (N=660,
> T=6) to estimate about 47 parameters in a random effects ordered
> probit model. Is the sample size too small here? Thanks!

This error message sometimes pops up when you have an explanatory
variable that perfectly predicts your dependent variable. Have a look
at the bivariate relations between your explanatory variables and your
dependent variable, for instance by using -tab-, and see if that is the
case. If that is the problem there is very little you can do other than
leave that variable out of your model (or get more data).

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081