Re: st: RE: RE: Importing data from excel with multiple worksheets

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: Importing data from excel with multiple worksheets
Date   Fri, 23 May 2008 13:59:13 -0400

I run into this kind of thing sometimes; the best solution I have isn't
very good, perhaps because it isn't very Stata.

I insert a new worksheet, and then link the data from all the other
tables into a single large table with one header row. Excel is very
good at this: in fact, you can easily reference whole pages at once,
then cut out the nusiance rows and drag the data up to be in
consecutive rows.

It is not ideal, but has the advantages that:
   1. The original data isn't touched
   2. The links can always be rechecked; there's a "trail"
   3. It just takes a few minutes
   4. The resulting page can be copied/transferred directly
      into Stata.

hope this helps,
Jeph

Lachenbruch, Peter wrote:
I have had a similar problem periodically: some well-meaning scientist
creates a data file in excel with the first set of data in rows 1-20,
say with row 1 having some descriptor of the lab data, row 2 having
variable names and rows 3 to 20 having the variable values.
They then skip a few rows and rows 25 to 50 have another set of data,
perhaps from a second hospital with more description in rows 25 & 26 and
then variable names in row 27 (often the same as in row 2), and data in
rows 28 to 50.
This goes on for 10 or 12 data sets, all related, but the text manages
to mess up any ability to read in the data. The brute force method will
split the data into subsets and save them, followed by data entry and
possible merging. Is there an easier, more efficient way to do this?

I should mention I don't have the issue at present, but it has been a
pain in the neck in the past.

Perhaps the most efficient way is to tell the person who created the
files to enter the data properly and come back, but this doesn't gain
many happy faces...

Tony

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health