st: keeping dates which are n periods apart

From   "Rajesh Tharyan" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: keeping dates which are n periods apart
Date   Mon, 19 May 2008 02:02:43 +0100

Hi all,

I have this ( a subset of the original dataset, the original dataset has
about 6000 ids with an  average of 6 years each)

    id   year
     4   1987
     4   1988
     4   1989
     4   1990
     4   1992
     4   1993
     4   1994
     9   1987
     9   1988
     9   1989
     9   1990
     9   1992
     9   1993
     9   1994

I need to keep years if they are more than 2 years apart by company. In an
earlier post

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2006-02/msg00952.html

David Harrison suggested the following which works fine with one id

local refdate = year[1]
gen byte dropflag = 0
forvalues i = 2/`=_N' {
	if year[`i']-`refdate'<=2 {
		replace dropflag = 1 in `i'
	}
	else {
		local refdate = year[`i']
	}
}
drop if dropflag
drop dropflag

However I am not able to do it by id. what I would want is this..

    id   year
     4   1987
     4   1990
     4   1993
     9   1987
     9   1990
     9   1993

I tried using the above code with levelsof and foreach as shown below but no
luck.

*******************
input id year

         4   1987