RE: Re: st: Two-way clustering

From   "Nuno" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: Re: st: Two-way clustering
Date   Sun, 11 May 2008 12:22:43 +0100

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to hijack this discussion, but I have a problem that relates to
this question. When using the two way clustering we can still have problems
with OLS estimates if residuals are correlated within cluster. The
consequence of this would be that OLS standard errors would be biased but
also the slope coefficient is not efficient. In order to minimize this
problem we should use GLS using the - xtreg - command. My problem is the
following: how can we test the for residuals serial correlation within
cluster? I have no problem with testing the serial correlation without
clustering but I'm unsure of how to do this when the original model used
clustered standard errors...

Another issue would be if GLS are used when no serial correlation is
present, would the estimated standard errors be biased? At first glance I
don't think so, but I'm not sure about this.

Best,

Nuno