RE: st: correcting standard errors for model with repeatedobservations in same time period

From   Adrian de la Garza <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: correcting standard errors for model with repeatedobservations in same time period
Date   Wed, 7 May 2008 12:15:46 -0400

Dear Austin,

Yes, I have about 40-something countries so I do agree that it makes sense to cluster by country and/or time.

I do believe that I also need to account for selection (missing obs when no bonds are issued) given that we only observe the spread of a bond when a bond is indeed issued... otherwise we don't observe anything... and at all times, countries have the option to issue or not issue a bond. Thiis is the typical selection problem where we observe a wage for a working person but not for someone who chooses not to participate in the labor market, so when you regress wages on various individual characteristics of workers, you need to account for selection to correct for this bias.

Anyway, that is not the problem I'm referring to here anyway. My question is what I do about repeated observations in a same time period (year, quarter) when I do observe spreads? For example, the fact that for any given time period I may see 3 Mexico issues or 4 Brazil issues?

Thank you once again.

Best,
Adrian

http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_messenger_052008