st: RE: Help with table command

Subject   st: RE: Help with table command
Date   Wed, 7 May 2008 16:21:39 +0200

Use -db table-, it has as cell content an option "frequency". For transfers
to other software I would recommend -ssc d tabout-

Martin Weiss

Diplom-Kaufmann Martin Weiss
Mohlstrasse 36
Room 415
72074 Tuebingen
Germany

Fon: 0049-7071-2978184

Home: http://www.wiwi.uni-tuebingen.de/cms/index.php?id=1130

Publications: http://www.wiwi.uni-tuebingen.de/cms/index.php?id=1131

SSRN: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=669945

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of
[email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 4:19 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Help with table command

Dear Statalisters,

I have two simple questions concerning how to make tables in Stata:
1) I want to make a table with the following setup:

                Informal firm   Formal firm
                Male    Female  Male    Female
myvar1          36.21   40      23.76   ...
myvar2                      ...             ...             ...
myvar3                      ...             ...             ...

I have been putting these tables together by calculating each variable
separately with the following command:
by firm_infor fem : sum myvar1
by firm_infor fem : sum myvar2
by firm_infor fem : sum myvar3
and then taking the relevant mean statistic and transfering the values
into Excel. However this takes a long time.

2) How would I do the same table, but for dummy variables (with 0 or 1
as potential responses) in which I do not want the mean, but just the
number of firms that responded 1 to a particular variable. I have been
doing the following:
by firm_infor fem : tab myvar4
by firm_infor fem : tab myvar5
by firm_infor fem : tab myvar6
and then just taking the statistic for those firms that responded 1.
This takes a long time too.

I hope this is clear enough. This is the first time I am posting a
question on Statalist, so please let me know if you need any further
information.

Warm regards,
Sina

--
Sina Joy Grasmann
917 Columbia Road

Privileged, confidential or patient identifiable information may be
contained in this message. This information is meant only for the use of the
intended recipients. If you are not the intended recipient, or if the
message has been addressed to you in error, do not read, disclose,
reproduce, distribute, disseminate or otherwise use this transmission.
Instead, please notify the sender by reply e-mail, and then destroy all
copies of the message and any attachments.