st: Re: reproducing results of a random number generation within a loop using seed

From   "Conner Mullally" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: reproducing results of a random number generation within a loop using seed
Date   Mon, 05 May 2008 12:57:14 -0500

Never mind.  I'm still not sure why my original code didn't
work, but I used the following instead:

levelsof cluster, local(ctlevels)
foreach i of local ctlevels {
qui su id3 if cluster==`i'
forvalues j=1(2)`r(max)' {
qui replace pair=`j' if $cluster==`i'&id3==`j'
qui replace pair=`j' if $cluster==`i'&id3==(`j'+1)
}
}
bysort cluster pair: g random=uniform()
sort cluster pair random
by cluster pair: g id4=_n
qui replace invite=1 if id4==1
qui replace invite=0 if id4==2

thanks to anyone who spent any time on this.