RE: st: customised output formats

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: customised output formats
Date   Wed, 26 Mar 2008 12:00:39 -0000

On second thoughts, Margaret seems to have the question the right way
round in that you want this as output. Sorry for my misreading. Still,
as Svend said, the opposite is an engaging puzzle.

Margaret R Grove

Daniel,

I'm not quite clear on what your "archaic program" consists of - do you
have a Stata dataset which you are trying to reformat for other
software?  I saw the other solutions but I'm seeing the problem a little

differently assuming that you want to go from a normal dataset to a
special format for the other software.

If that's the case, you could do something like the following to make
space for the "PID" and "END" records:

sort pid
expand 2 if pid==pid[_n-1]        *** Adds record for identifier only
expand 2 if pid!=pid[_n+1]         ***Adds record for "END" only
replace pid="END" if pid!=pid[_n+1]

foreach v of varlist x y {
    replace `v'=. if pid!=pid[_n-1]
}

and then do whatever other formatting you need and output to a txt file.

Meg