st: RE: multilevel

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: multilevel
Date   Tue, 18 Mar 2008 13:59:15 -0000

The number of children in school in each household may be put in a
variable by

egen inschool = total(school), by(household_code)

-inschool- will thus be constant within household.

You can tag just one observation in each household by

egen tag = tag(household_code)

and then

tab inschool if tag

See also various FAQs, e.g.

FAQ     . . Creating variables recording whether any or all possess some
char.
        2/03    How do I create a variable recording whether any
                members of a group (or all members of a group)
                possess some characteristic?
                http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/anyall.html

Daniel Macneil

I am stumped on what i thought was an easy problem. I have children
(id_code) within
families(household_code) who go to school (1) or not(0). How do I find
the mean values (or even
table) at the household level for how many children are in school? I
know I can use xtsum to get
the std dev within and between, but about just finding out: the number
of families with ALL
children in school, SOME children in school and NO children in school,
e.g.

      | househ~e   id_code      sex   age   school |
      |--------------------------------------------|
   4. |        1         4   Female     6        0 |
   9. |        2         3   Female    12        0 |
  10. |        2         4     Male     8        1 |
  14. |        3         3   Female    12        0 |
  15. |        3         4     Male    10        1 |
  16. |        3         5     Male    14        1 |
  23. |        4         3   Female    14        0 |
  24. |        4         4   Female    12        1 |
  25. |        4         5   Female     6        0 |
  32. |        5         5   Female    13        . |