Re: st: string

From   "Vladimir Vakhitov" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: string
Date   Mon, 17 Mar 2008 12:03:45 -0400

Dear Victor,

This is a familiar problem, I had it with country names. I had up to
20 "variations" of the same country name. Unfortunately I had to do a
lot of stuff manually.
First I made a dictionary of "clear" values I needed. In your case
this would a "clear" list of cities. Then I tabulated my "dirty"
variable and manually assigned a correspondence between each "dirty"
value and a "clean" value. Tabulation will let you to see most common
regularities. Then saved this into a separate file and merged the
"clean" variable to the original file.

I used -regexr- and -trim- families of string functions to look for
some regularities and trim blanks. See -help string_functions-

It is always a good practice to -clonevar- your variables

I hope it helps.
Vladimir

--
Volodymyr Vakhitov