Re: st: HUGE Wald test statistics of testing multiple coefficients in a fixed effect model with cluster option

Subject   Re: st: HUGE Wald test statistics of testing multiple coefficients in a fixed effect model with cluster option
Date   Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:26:03 -0400

J.J. <[email protected]>:
If you had no explanatory variables other than dummies for each panel
(the dummy variable form of fixed effects) the standard errors when
clustering by panel would be zero, roughly (i.e. close to zero, by the
standards of machine precision).  Your 300 dummy variables may have a
similar problem as the 500 dummies implied by the FE, and it seems
likely you do not have the effective df you need to test 300 coefs.
Note -xtcltest- will tell you clustering is a problem here, since it
is essentially comparing the cluster-robust SE (about zero) to the OIM
SE (not zero) and saying they are different.  While clustering may
well be a problem, you likely do not have the sample size (in number
of clusters, now) to effectively use the cluster-robust SE
calculations.  You may want to explore a parametric approach like
-xtregar- or -xtgee- or explore one of the options in -xtivreg2- (see
the help file for -ivreg2- or the related papers for some detail on SE
options) from SSC.