st: R: How to sample from a Multinomial distribution

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: R: How to sample from a Multinomial distribution
Date   Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:09:31 +0100

Dear Tiago,

Provided that I have understood your question well, I suppose you have to
draw random samples from a so called Dirichlet distribution (please, see
Briggs A, Schulper M, Claxton K. Decision Modelling for Health Economic
Evaluation. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006: 116-118).

Assuming you start with counts instead of probabilities, I would suggest you
to fit three independent gamma distributions (where parameter alfa is the
mean^2/SE^2 and parameter beta is SE^2/mean of your original dataset)and use
the inverse gamma for random sampling and eventually obtain the
probabilities you are seeking.

Translating into Stata, it would be like this (please, see the example
below).
------------------------------begin example-------------------------- cap
program drop simgamma

program simgamma, rclass

args a1 b1 a2 b2 a3 b3

tempname beta1 beta2 beta3

scalar `beta1' = `b1'*invgammap(`a1',uniform())

scalar `beta2' = `b2'*invgammap(`a2',uniform())

scalar `beta3' = `b3'*invgammap(`a3',uniform())

return scalar beta1 = `beta1'

return scalar beta2 = `beta2'

return scalar beta3 = `beta3'

end

clear

set obs 10000

g a1=1

g b1=1251

g a2=1

g b2=350

g a3=1

g b3=116

simulate beta1=r(beta1) beta2=r(beta2) beta3=r(beta3), reps(10000) nodots:
simgamma a1 b1 a2 b2 a3 b3

egen first_tot=  rowtotal ( beta1 beta2 beta3)

g pG1= beta1/ first_tot

g pG2= beta2/ first_tot

g pG3= beta3/ first_tot

Please consider that values for a(lfa) and b(eta) in my example should be
changed according to your original data.

HTH and Kind Regards,

Carlo