st: unexpected "ambiguous abbreviation"

From   Dirk Enzmann <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: unexpected "ambiguous abbreviation"
Date   Tue, 26 Feb 2008 19:25:50 +0100

Does somebody have an idea why I receive the error message "mu ambiguous abbreviation" if the data contain variable starting with mu...? Below the result of trying to run my program "fitnb" with - set trace on - and - set tracedepth 1 -.

I thought that using "tempvar mu" followed by "scalar mu = something" would result in mu being a temporary scalar (no macro!) existing only within the call of the program fitnb.

BTW, is there a possibility to check quietly the setting of varabbrev? So that I could use "set varabbrev off" at the beginning of the program and "set varabbrev on" at the end only if it has been "on" before (so that a call to the program will never change the setting "varabbrev" outside the program)? Because to use "set varabbrev off" is an effective workaround.

Thanks in advance,
Dirk

fitnb rbinz99
----------------------------------------------------- begin fitnb ---
- version 9
- syntax [varlist] [, maxval(integer 0)]
- tokenize `varlist'
= tokenize rbinz99
- args x
- tempvar x_max size mu N prob i nbdat maxfit pmisfit
- if `maxval'==0 {
= if 0==0 {
- local selection "if `x'<."
= local selection "if rbinz99<."
- }
- else {
local selection "if `x'<. & `x'<=`maxval'"
}
- sum `x' `selection'
= sum rbinz99 if rbinz99<.

Variable | Obs Mean Std. Dev. Min Max