st: Order variables in dataset by type of variable

From   "John GIBSON" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Order variables in dataset by type of variable
Date   Sat, 23 Feb 2008 01:56:53 +1300

Dear Statalisters

I have a dataset with 600 variables, of which about 500 are numeric and 100 are strings. The string variables are spread right throughout the dataset.

I want to order the variables to move all of the strings to the end and the numeric variables at the beginning, but neither the order, aorder or placevar commands give the option of ordering by type of variable.

Unfortunately there are no naming standards for the different types of variables that would enable me to separate the two groups using a wildcard.

Thanks for any suggestions.

John