Re: st: RE: Reinstalling Stata - How to reinstall downloaded packages

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Reinstalling Stata - How to reinstall downloaded packages
Date   Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:51:34 -0500

There is a difference between "all packages that I've downloaded" and
"all packages that I've installed".
In general, if you are reinstalling Stata because some files were
lost, it is also possible that your STATA.TRK file was lost. Which
means that Stata does no longer know, which packages you've installed.
If this file is gone, ado dir will tell you nothing, even if the
installed packages are still there.

Some users are not as organized as experienced gurus here, and often
unzip the package to a current dir, or somewhere along the adopath and
that is enough for the new commands to work, But since no installation
was made, ado dir knows nothing about them.

In some cases it can make sence just to back up the whole ado directory.

Anscillary files may have been downloaded, but not available now, you
need to back up those too. Versions must be considered. Older versions
may be no longer available, newer may not always be compatible or
produce different results making replication not possible.

There are other similar things to consider, but you've got the point:
ado dir is not a silver bullet.

Regards, Sergiy