st: Pass Integers to Program

Subject   st: Pass Integers to Program
Date   Mon, 18 Feb 2008 00:22:11 +0100

Hi guys,

this may be easy for the advanced Stata users typically populating the
Statalist, but I have now spent the better part of the afternoon trying to
pass six integers as mandatory arguments to a program, and then have the
program check whether there are six integers, in ascending order (if not,
please sort), greater than zero and smaller than 50. I subsequently want to
refer to them as arg1, arg2...
I understand this is possible with positional arguments, but I do not know
how to check for completeness and ascending order then. So I have been
reading -syntax- in the [U]Programming up and down all day, but this
explanation, though  stretching over pages, has left me even more clueless
as to the correct specification. Particularly worrying is the part where
they refer to "anything" on page 411, where, in my view, the whole
description is not intelligible. I addition, there are no real examples in
this part of the handbook. Man, I am looking forward to a good book on Stata
programming...

Thanxx for any ideas in advance,
Martin Weiss

Diplom-Kaufmann Martin Weiss