Re: st: Need Help with Clusters and Weighting

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Need Help with Clusters and Weighting
Date   Fri, 15 Feb 2008 10:13:49 -0500

Liliana, The information that you have provided is not detailed enough for me to provide you much help. I cannot tell from your description, for example, if your data ARE a valid probability sample of Harris County. What was the sampling frame? Was it an area sample? What were the 'strata'; what were 'clusters'? How were they selected? What were 'samples'? How were THEY selected? Was each 'sample' one person? What were the probabilities of selection.

The way that you phrase your questions suggests that you are on the right track, but don't have much knowledge yet of sampling. I suggest that you consult with the survey scientists who designed the sample and also with the biostatistics faculty members who teach sampling at UTH. They will suggest a good book for background reading. Ask your advisor if one of them can be on your doctoral committee. Statalist is really not a good place to learn sampling, but we will be happy to help you with Stata commands once you understand the sample details. Make sure that you consult the Stata survey -help- and Survey Manual too.

Good luck!

-Steven