Re: st: Stata Technical Bulletin

From   Nick Winter <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata Technical Bulletin
Date   Fri, 15 Feb 2008 10:02:51 -0500

Could there be a FAQ on this question, which comes up periodically? I realize that's tricky, because the FAQ lives on stata.com, and StataCorp may or may not want to make an official statement about the (non-) availability of PDF manuals . . .

My sense of the flavor of comments when this comes up are

(1) StataCorp says nothing

(2) Users speculate that StataCorp is unlikely to do this, as manuals are an important revenue stream for StataCorp, and once they exist as PDFs they will inevitably be floating around on the internet.

(3) Users also note that the online help is vast.

--Nick Winter

Nuno wrote:

Hi everyone,

I do not want to hijack this thread, but I would like to know if Stata Corp
is also considering making the manuals available in pdf format?
Nuno

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of William Gould,
StataCorp LP
Sent: quinta-feira, 14 de Fevereiro de 2008 15:40
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Stata Technical Bulletin

There have recently been postings by Richard Williams
<[email protected]>, Ronan Conroy <[email protected]>, Kit Baum
<[email protected]>, and others about electronic availability of articles from the
Stata Journal. A prominent feature of the discussion has been the idea of a
moving wall before which articles would be freely available.

We at StataCorp agree.

We are in the process of implementing a system at www.stata-journal.com
whereby

1. Any article published in the SJ is electronically available.

2. Articles older than 3 years are available for free.
Delivery is in PDF format via email and is immediate.

3. Articles newer than that cost $7.50. Delivery is in PDF format via email and is immediate.

We anticipate having the system up and running in late March.
I will notify the list once it is available.

-- Bill
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
Nicholas Winter                                 434.924.6994 t
Assistant Professor                             434.924.3359 f
Department of Politics                  [email protected] e
University of Virginia          faculty.virginia.edu/nwinter w
PO Box 400787, 100 Cabell Hall
Charlottesville, VA 22904