st: RE: problem with outreg2: p-value deciles

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: problem with outreg2: p-value deciles
Date   Thu, 14 Feb 2008 16:09:17 -0000

I don't use -outreg2- myself )because I use -parmest-). However, my personal view re formatting of P-value is that they should be reported to a given number of significant figures, rather than to a given number of decimal places. This is because (contrary to popular belief) P-values below 0.0005 are NOT "as good as zero", because today's genome-scan chips can measure a million single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs), and today's computers can measure the associations of all of these polymorphisms with a disease, and over 1/2000 of these associations (on average) will be statistically significant at P<=0.0005, even if all associations are zero in the population at large. Therefore, it matters whether an individual P-value is 0.0005 or 0.00000005.

The ideal Stata format to use for P-values is probably %-8.1e, ie left-justified, with a width of 8, presented in scientific notation as x.ye-z, where x and y are digits, and z is a possibly multi-digit integer, which, in practice, will not have more than 3 digits, even on today's computers (I think). However, as a lot of readers are more accustomed to P-values of 0.05 than to P-values of 5.0e-2, we might compromise with these readers by choosing a format of %-8.1g, which should give the familiar multi-digit decimal format for P-values down to, and including, 1.0e-5.

I would be surprised if -outreg- and/or -outreg2- and/or -estaou- did not have the ability to format P-values in either of these ways. (Or in a format such as %8.3f, if readers ostinately prefer decimal-place formats.) The -parmest- package has a -format()- option for this purpose.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger B Newson