st: re: Stata Technical Bulletin

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: re: Stata Technical Bulletin
Date   Wed, 13 Feb 2008 09:49:07 -0500

Nick and Joe (editors of SJ) said

what Richard wants is already
possible, at modest cost: for a university library in the USA or Canada,
the price is USD 89 / year. For about 600 pages per year of good quality
technical material, that's quite reasonable, or so I suggest.

This is somewhat misleading. To my understanding subscription by the library (which my university library has done) to the Stata Journal does not in any way make it electronically available in the way that most scholarly journals are available. BC Libraries subscribe to the print version because subscription to the electronic edition merely would give the library a PDF of the issue. How would the library make that available to authorized users? We have access to thousands of e- journals through our excellent on-line library system, but that is done by the publishers selling the ability of a library to control access to their site, which then delivers individual articles (not whole issues), with the publishers providing the security.

I agree that the price is most reasonable (especially when viewed in light of the debate about rapacious publishers charging libraries thousands of dollars per year for some titles) but the availability of the SJ electronic edition to libraries is in my mind not useful. Patrons expect to have access to articles, not entire issues, and libraries expect publishers to be the gatekeepers of who is privileged to download the articles. As far as I understand Stata Journal is nowhere near providing this kind of service to libraries. I would be pleasantly surprised to learn that I am wrong.

Kit

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html

* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/