RE: st: importing txt file changes format of variable

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: importing txt file changes format of variable
Date   Sun, 10 Feb 2008 16:41:52 -0000

I agree with Scott's solution. I'd particularly like to underline the
importance of the -format()- option, which does much of the important
work to solve the problem.

Scott Merryman

tostring us_id, replace format(%06.0f)

On Feb 8, 2008 1:46 PM, Ms. Marilyn Ibarra <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have the following data in a txt file:
>
> us_id       firm
> 000007       x
> 010234       y
> 321098       z
> 112411       w
>
> When I import it into stata I get this:
>
> us_id       firm
> 7            x
> 10234        y
> 321098       z
> 112411       w
>
> Where the us_id changes in the first two observations (it changes for
any observations that have a us_id with zeros at the beginning).  I need
us_id to be a 6 digit id number for each firm (ncluding any zeros at the
beginning).  This needs to be a string variable but is a numeric
variable when imported into STATA.