RE: st: optimal configuration for windows 32/64

From   "Wallace, John" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: optimal configuration for windows 32/64
Date   Fri, 8 Feb 2008 11:07:36 -0800

I upgraded to Stata MP last year, and went with a 64-bit Windows XP
system.  Stata runs great on it, but I do have some compatibility issues
with other programs (Adobe Acrobat, for one - not the reader).  There
are also weird things that happen even within Microsoft software, such
as charts not displaying within Word once I paste them into a document
(sometimes refreshing the screen or scrolling up and down causes the
display to work).

I kept my 32-bit system and that's what I do my authoring on now, with
the multiprocessor workhorse pretty much being Stata-only.  Someday I'll
invest in a KVM switch so my computers won't take up so much room in my
office.

-JW

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Alan Riley
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2008 8:25 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: optimal configuration for windows 32/64

Julio Estevez ([email protected]) asks about an optimal computer
configuration for his Stata needs.  He wants to use Windows
and plans on working with about 2 GB of data:
> I need to work with census data uploading into memory about 2
gigabites of data. My questions are the following

> 1. should I go for windows 64 instead of windows 32?
> 2. If I go for a Microsoft 64 OS, would I notice a performance
improvement if i switch from a stata 32bit to stata 64bit?
> 2. Any advice about the best processor around? I have around US$ 4000
to spend in a computer that can allow me to work at reasonable speeds
with a census database.

If Julio needs to load 2 GB of data into Stata for Windows, then he
definitely should get a computer with a 64-bit version of Windows
along with 64-bit Stata for Windows.

Given his budget, I would advise Julio to look for a quad-core or
even 8-core machine with 4 to 8 GB of memory.  On such a machine he
can get even more speed out of Stata by using Stata/MP which performs
computations in parallel on multiple cores.  Julio can check to see
what kind of speed increase he can expect from Stata/MP for the Stata
commands he uses frequently here:
http://www.stata.com/statamp/report.pdf

Someone else in this thread mentioned Dell, so I took a quick look at
their web site.  I was able to configure a quad-core machine with one
of the fastest processors available (Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 running
at 3 GHz) and 4 GB of RAM for under $3000.  I was able to configure
an 8-core (dual quad-core processors) machine with 8 GB of RAM for
just under $4000.  Stata would perform very well on either of these
machines.

As was mentioned by David Jacobs ([email protected]) earlier
in this thread, Julio should make sure that other software he needs
to run will work under 64-bit Windows before switching to a solely
64-bit environment.

--Alan Riley
([email protected])

This transmission is intended for the sole use of the individual
and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information
that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law. You are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, distribution or duplication of this transmission by
someone other than the intended addressee or its designated agent
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in
error, please notify the sender immediately by reply to this
transmission and delete it from your computer. Thank You.
Affymetrix, Inc.