RE: st: sorting with tabdisp

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: sorting with tabdisp
Date   Tue, 5 Feb 2008 19:56:36 -0000

I think Maarten did understand and did answer your question. The answer
is that you can't do this directly in -tabdisp-, so you have to resort
to trickery. Before calling -tabdisp-, you must generate a variable to
do the job.

You must get something that looks like -name- in your table, but is
really something else. As Maarten said, the -egen- function -axis()-
from
-egenmore- on SSC is one way to do this. The dopey name arises from one
use, for generating variables to serve as graph axes.

Thomas

Dear Maarten,

thanks but I guess I expressed myself badly:

In

tabdisp name yr, cellvar(var)

I want to order name (i.e. the rows) according to the values
of cellvar in the first column.