Re: st: sorting with tabdisp

From   Thomas <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: sorting with tabdisp
Date   Tue, 05 Feb 2008 19:46:08 +0000

Dear Maarten,

thanks but I guess I expressed myself badly:

In

tabdisp name yr, cellvar(var)

I want to order name (i.e. the rows) according to the values
of cellvar in the first column.

Thanks,

thomas

Maarten buis wrote:
--- Thomas <[email protected]> wrote:

given the following table:

tabdisp name yr, cellvar(var)

I would like to sort the data in the cells on the
first column, i.e. the first year in my panel.
If I understand you correctly than you want the columns in the example
below to be in order (1 2 3 4 5 .). As you can see -tabdisp- already
does that. One possible reason why -tabdisp- may appear not to do so is
when value labels are attached to the values of yr (rep78 in the
example below) and the order of the values is not the same as the
"order" of the value labels. Stata looks at the values and displays the
labels, so the categories appear out of order. If this is the case you
can take a look at the -axis()- function in the -egenmore- package
downloadable from -ssc-.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

*--------- begin example -------------
sysuse auto, clear
contract foreign rep78
tabdisp foreign rep78, cellvar(_freq)
*--------- end example ---------------
(For more on how to use examples I sent to the Statalist, see
http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/stata/exampleFAQ.html )

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081