Re: st: Length of a string

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Length of a string
Date   Fri, 1 Feb 2008 13:39:08 -0500

Hello Lilian,

Stata's limit for string variables is 244 characters and if you need a
string variable longer than that, then the answer is: you can do
nothing. However in 99% of practical situations there are workarounds.
Stata can handle long strings, and this allows to process string data
of lengths>244 (up to about 1mln in SE and MP). If you need a string
variable with length more than 244, this means that there is probably
something inefficient in your program/strategy, which can be changed.

Depending on what you are doing, there may be a very easy workaround.
Just describe what you want to do with that variable.

In most general case, you define an array of string macros, and store
indices, retrieving the string data by id whenever it is needed.
However this will be slow and inefficient.

Best regards,
   Sergiy Radyakin