Re: st: Stata 10 bug or bad memory?

From   Alan Riley <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata 10 bug or bad memory?
Date   Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:44:42 -0600

William Bishop ([email protected]) is experiencing some strange
behavior in Stata's Data Editor:
> I have been having a problem with Stata 10 and I'm not sure if it is a
> problem with the software or perhaps my hardware.
>
> The problem is that when I view a dataset using Data Editor sometimes
> I see duplicates of the same variable (two columns that are identical
> next to each other).  Also when I close the Data Editor with the X in
> the top right corner (OS is XP Pro) or the Preserve button, I see Edit
> then Preserve in Results Window, then when I re-open Data-Editor one
> of the variables will be missing.  This happens consistently.  I
> open,close, and re-open Data Editor and each time I do that I lose a
> column.  (Note:  in the Variables window the lost variables still
> appear but if I run a display command on them the result is "not
> found")
>
> I have the most recent update of Stata and am thinking it might be a
> memory problem but I thought I would check to see if anyone else had a
> similar experience because I have not noticed any memory problems in
> other applications.

We have not had any other reports of such problems, but I suspect that
it is related either to faulty hardware or to a corrupt executable.
William should email a description of his problem, and information
about his system including the output of Stata's -about- command to
[email protected].  They will help him track down the issue.

--Alan
([email protected])